Requirements for the Institution / Trainer
While EBO-ESOPRS does not limit the training to specific centres, particular requirements have to be satisfied within the training-centre and by the trainer responsible for of the training in order to fulfil the eligibility criteria of the candidate to the EBO-ESOPRS.
The candidate may choose the centre training of their choice specialising in the management of oculoplastic, lacrimal, orbital and aesthetic conditions (OLOA) in Europe, or an internationally reputed department in or outside Europe.
- The training must be conducted in an institution that offers a training program with adequate capacity, appropriate infrastructure for high quality, diverse exposure to OLOA cases and their management. The institution should have a sufficient number of OLOA patients as well as an area fully equipped with access to current diagnostic equipment.
- Adequate operating facilities are mandatory, including an operating microscope.
- The institution must provide access to a medical library and facilities for electronic retrieval of medical literature and information from medical databases.
- The institution has to have all facilities to complete the requirements of the log-book.
- The institution should also be able to suggest educational activities, specifically critical evaluation of literature, didactic lectures and grand rounds. Clinical research activities with presentations at meetings should be encouraged.
- The Trainer responsible for the training of the candidate is not necessarily the Head of Department.
- The following requirements of the Trainer are to be documented:
a) appropriate educational qualifications, including certification in ophthalmology and acknowledged expertise in OLOA
b) a minimum of 5 years devoted mainly to the care of OLOA patients
c) national and international activities in teaching/research in the area of OLOA.
d) the Trainer must be personally responsible for the educational experience during the entire training period, with active supervision of the candidate during their training and agrees to document in writing on the appropriate form prepared by EBO the accomplishment of all requirements (theoretical, clinical, surgical, research, reading, behavioural etc) as well as the log book for various procedures.
e) periodical evaluations/progress reports during the training are requested and need to be documented